Skip to main content

In Rememberance Through APEX #JoelKallmanDay

It was a sad day when I had heard Joel had passed.  I was gearing up for another day of working diligently on an APEX app for one of my customers when I saw the news.  I knew I had to do something by which to remember him.  I'm not the cleverest of APEX developers, but I do like to have fun and create a lot of our internal applications.  And if someone tells me they don't think APEX can accomplish a certain task, I have, for the most part, disproved that claim.


I ended up creating my own challenge at one point.  One of our internal applications required some creative thinking on our part, but we were successful in finishing the application and designing it the way we wanted.  Several internal groups became interested in this application and wanted it for their own.  I wanted to make sure our team got credit through a hidden Easter egg.  A little JavaScript, some SweetAlert2 magic, and an old gaming console cheat code got the job done.  It was the simplest of ideas but powerful for our team:


<script>
var code = [];
document.body.addEventListener('keydown', function(e) {
  code.push(e.keyCode);
  if (code.toString() === '38,38,40,40,37,39,37,39,66,65') {
    Swal({title:'Thank you',
          type: 'info',
          html:'MY THANK YOU NOTE HERE',
          width:600,
          heightAuto: false,
          showConfirmButton: false, 
          showCloseButton: true,
          onClose: () => {
            code = [];
          }});
  }
$(".swal2-popup").css('background-color', '#000');
$(".swal2-title").css('color', '#FFF');
});

</script>

And the success of that simple script sparked the idea to remember a great influence on the APEX community in the only way I knew how -- reuse my code and remember Joel in a small but powerful way.  Now, most of my applications today have this hidden tribute with a bit of a different message:


This is what I love about APEX.  The possibilities are endless.  I have been working with APEX for over 15 years and I know that I have only brushed the tip of the iceberg.  Joel was and is still a large part of this innovation.  And he really inspired me to become a better developer, think outside the proverbial box, and create endless possibilities.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rumblings from the belly . . .

No, it's not hunger. It's not a stomach ache. It's a fully grown baby in there. My wife is now close to the six-month mark, and her stomach is doing flip-turns and soccer kicks every time she eats ice cream (the baby is his/her father's son/daughter). The baby started moving right around 21 weeks, and he/she hasn't stopped. It's unbelievably surreal, yet there is a living human being moving around inside my wife right now. Our entertainment for the evening is watching her belly pop, shake, and roll. Yes roll. One of the baby's extremities pokes out and rolls right across the stomach. It's quite exciting to see the baby move right before our very eyes. This makes it real (not that it hasn't been real). This makes it a baby. This makes it a life. The baby hasn't made me nervous yet even though I do worry a bit about Angela. It's just my nature. She's my wife and I want to take good care of her. The rumblings make it exciting

Marriage

My wife . . . Angela. I'm extremely happy to say that. Marriage is a huge step in life, but I'm loving every minute of it. I knew that I was going to be nervous, but I also knew I was making the right decision. I met the love of my life in an instant . . . that's always the way it seems to happen. And I'm glad I met her. She has taught me so much, especially how to love with your entire heart unconditionally. No matter what's going on in your life. And as you should know, marriage is all about compromise. Always meet halfway, or sacrifice one thing for another.

Already a football fan . . .

Well, how about that? My little one is already a football fan . . . he/she knows how to do the Wave. No joke. Just watch my wife's belly and you'll see for sure. One minute her belly is a nice, round pregnant-like shape, and the next thing you know you see a hand/foot/elbow/knee poke through and move fluidly from one side my wife to another. He/she is pretty packed in there. I can't wait to meet my child. Wondering what he/she will look like. I'll find out in no time. Only 6 more weeks to go (give or take a week or two)!